Abbot Beyne School is an 11 – 18 school and Sixth Form with almost 800 students on role. Situated to the east of Burton upon Trent, the school is fortunate in its location with 19 hectares of grounds overlooking the River Trent.
The school is truly comprehensive with an intake that includes a varied mix of students from different areas within the town and South Derbyshire. The school has a split site with Years 7 – 9 based on the Evershed Site and Years 10 – 13 based on the Linnell Site. All students have their own iPads and we are an Apple Distinguished School, one of around 60 in the UK. Abbot Beyne continues to be a prominent Burton River Collaborative Partnership (BRCP) and the Excellence Group, two groups of schools focussed primarily on maximising progress for students.
William Beyne, Abbot of Burton Abbey, endowed a grammar school in the early 16th century which was opened in 1520. The Boys’ Grammar school moved to Winshill in 1957. The Girls’ High School opened in 1928. In 1975 the Grammar School was merged with the Burton on Trent Girls’ High School and Ada Chadwick Secondary Modern School to become Abbot Beyne School mixed Comprehensive School on Mill Hill Lane.
In broad outline, the history of the Burton Grammar School was as follows:
1531 – First Grammar School founded by Abbot William Beyne.
1834 – Moved from churchyard site to renovated premises in Friars Walk.
1877 – Moved from Friars Walk to new premises in Bond Street.
1957 – Moved from Bond Street to new premises in Winshill.
1975 – Ceased as The Grammar School and became Abbot Beyne Comprehensive School.
The school goes from strength to strength and is an integral part of the Winshill community. We are always seeking to improve, both in and out of the classroom. We try to keep to our roots, maintaining the core values of a school steeped in such tradition, whilst recognising that education is a fast moving environment and adapting accordingly. We recognise the need, now more than ever, to reflect on the message that has always been at the heart of Abbot Beyne School and The Grammar School, ‘Onward Together’.